With winter on its way, UK water companies and the Met
Office are advising homeowners, business owners and facilities
managers to prepare for the cold weather.
Cold temperatures can cause water inside pipes to freeze -
leading to bursts, floods and the misery of being without water for
drinking, cooking and washing. However, research shows that despite
90% of households in the UK saying they know water pipes can freeze
and burst in cold weather, only 23% insulate their pipes and only
20% have a plumber's number to hand in case of emergencies.*
The government has unveiled its 'Get Ready for Winter Campaign',
with WaterSafe urging homeowners to wrap up their homes with pipe
lagging and insulation to stay safe and healthy this winter.
While it's too early to predict what weather this winter will
bring, we can get ready for the winter months and would encourage
everyone to take a few simple steps to prepare for a cold winter
and ensure homes and commercial premises remain warm and cosy.
- Wrap up pipes and water tanks with insulation materials such as
- Fix dripping taps - even a small trickle can rsult in a frozen
- Find the building's stop tap and make sure you can turn it
- Leave the heating on low if you go away
- Check your central heating boiler has been serviced
- Keep the name of a plumber handy
Secondly, if you have a water boosting pump, ensure the
- The insulation materials cannot become entangled in the pumps
- Ensure insulation materials cannot be drawn into the cooling
- Do not cover the motor or fan casing. The vent slots need
access to ambient air at all times
If you have any questions on how to protect your Stuart Turner
pump from the cold weather, contact PumpAssist and one of
the team will be happy to guide you through any installation
questions you might have.
* Research care of Watersafe