Pump has trouble starting

Pablo0711 4 Posts 4 Karma
Pablo0711 posted this 14 November 2017

We have a pump to assist with the shower. The pump is postioned by the imersion tank however the shower is the floor above. It only does the hot water and has a pressure control module on top of the pump,which we have to restart each time,sometimes several times to get it going.

How do I find out what model it is?

Can it be repaired/serviced or is a nes pump the only option?

Paul

PumpAssist 242 Posts 173 Karma
Admin
PumpAssist posted this 14 November 2017

There should be a serial number for the pump on the electrical box on the motor of the pump itself. This will identify it.

The control modules can be purchased separately but depending on the age of the pump (we can tell from the serial number), it may be a false economy to just change the module if the pump is particularly old.

Pablo0711 posted this 15 November 2017

Have taken a few photos of the control box howver cannot find a number as susch. Where is it?

Think the pump is circa 10 yeras old. Currently we turn the power off after use as it surges on and off throughout the day otherwise.Is this the realese valves sticking?

Admin
PumpAssist posted this 15 November 2017

Can you email the pictures to info@stpumps.co.uk.

It would be particularly handy if there are pictures of the pump as opposed to the control module as that was fitted to a few different pumps.

It could be a faulty non return valve in the control module if the pump is cycling on and off or it could be something on your system activating the pump. You need to have an isolation valve after the module. If you have one shut it down and leave the pump as long as possible and see if it still cycles. If it does the control module is faulty but at 10 years old we would recommend replacing the complete pump, once it's identified.

Pablo0711 posted this 20 November 2017

Have sent the pictures by email as suggested. Strange though it seems, a tap to the pump gets it started ageain. Quite easily.

The shut off valve is before the pump,not after so not sure that helps?

Paul

Admin
PumpAssist posted this 20 November 2017

I don't think we have received the pictures. Can you resend them and quote the reference number CRM 357441. That way they will come to me.

If you are tapping the pump then it could be that the pressure switch has failed on the module and the pump is starting on the flow switch when you jiggle the water.

Pablo0711 posted this 21 November 2017

Have tried sending the pictures again. Please see reply. Is there another email address? can the pressure switch be replaced?

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

info@stpumps.co.uk.
The format of the email address isn't correct. A correct address looks like this: someone@example.com. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message.

Admin
PumpAssist posted this 21 November 2017

The correct address is info@stpumps.co.uk

I put a full stop there that I shouldn't have done and the server doesn't like it.

Admin
PumpAssist posted this 21 November 2017

Ok got the pictures. The pump is either a Boostamatic 330 or Boostamatic 500 (it should tell you on the black box on top of the green motor which one).

The pump looks like it has been leaking a while so I would recommend replacing the complete pump and control module with a 46523 if it's a 330 or a 46524 if it's a 500.

http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/stuart/stuart-ph-es/35-es-b/

http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/stuart/stuart-ph-es/45-es-b/

The pumps will work in the same way as your pump but don't need the control module now.

grantham 1 Posts 1 Karma
grantham posted this 27 December 2017

I had a Techflow qt Standard 2.3 bar Twin Shower & Whole House Pump installed 27/10/2016 by an "approved installer" and up to yesterday was trouble free. It now has some air in the system which I have managed to clear (I think) but on inspecting the installation I see they have used 15mm pipework and NOT the recommended 22mm size. What should I do? Will the 15mm size be detrimental to the efficiency and will it be harming the pump in any way?